Thursday, April 7, 2011

percolating



Father once wrote to me, "Do not forget the story of Icarus, who wanted to fly to the sun, and having reached a certain height lost his wings & fell into the sea." You may often feel that neither Anna nor I are what we hope to become and that we still lag a long way behind Father and other people, that we lack soundness and simplicity and sincerity. One does not become simple and true overnight. But let us persevere, and above all have patience. He who believes, does not hasten. Still, there is a difference between our desire to become Christians and that of Icarus to fly to the sun.

A letter from Vincent van Gogh to his brother, Theo


I think about this in the context of the artist's journey, and I feel a little less like I have to rush. There's so much outside my control. All I can do is show up and make my best, and observe what happens without judgement.

No comments: