Sunday, August 28, 2011

My husband the creative genius; and a new project

Lately I've been thinking about the journal as a tool, and what it means to use one. I started journaling in 5th grade, and have been keeping a journal regularly since my sophomore year of college. But for that long, my journal has been a place of words, where I write what I'm thinking or feeling, what I hear, what I see, what I want, what I don't understand. Words are the first and last tool I use to express myself and make sense of the world around me. I figure this is part of what makes me a writer, words being the principal vehicle for my thoughts and ideas.
But what if you're not a writer? What if you know the world through photo, or through film, or even through construction--fabric, stone, or wood? Does your journal still look the same? Can you use words to encapsulate your thoughts or feelings or ideas?
How do you assign a journal to someone who's not a writer? I know that anyone with the capacity to read and write can keep a journal, regardless of their discipline, but what does a journal of different media look like? How do you require a filmmaker to write journal entries? Or a sculptor, or a painter?
I don't know. I was talking it over with my husband, and he had this great idea: what if I experiment with journals in different media, in order to understand what kind of a journal might serve artists of different types?
Duh.
So I'm going to. Two weeks each, in photos, audio entries, film, visual images, sculptural elements, and see what I can come up with in terms of how a journal functions, and I'm going to try to record it all here. We'll see what happens, what I learn and can document.
I'm really interested in other suggestions, too. So if you wonder something, or want to point out something I haven't thought of, do it.

No comments: